I forgot to mention, we are learning about nocturnal animals and particularly bats this week in science!
Talk to your kiddos about all the facts they have learned recently!!
- Bats are flying mammals.
- While others can glide, bats are the only mammals capable of continued flight.
- There are over 1000 different bat species.
- Bats are nocturnal (active at night).
- Bats ‘see’ in the dark using a special skill called echolocation. Bats make noises and wait for the sound waves to bounce back off objects (an echo), if it doesn’t bounce back then they can safely fly forward. They can tell the distance of various objects by how quickly the sound waves bounce back to them.
- Most bats feed on insects, while others eat fruit, or even blood!
These kids amaze me every day!! Thank you for allowing me to share them with you!